Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

the chartreuse

I know she was looking at me. She glanced at me for a second there, with her almond eyes, in that very small fraction of time. She was wearing a lightweight blouse, a light blue skirt, and her all-time favorite champagne colored flats. She had a rosy complexion, ruby lips, and a slender figure; she was always a pleasant to watch. She sat there, in silence, on a bench, waiting patiently for someone to come. Was she expecting me to come and sit next to her? She smiled. 'This can't be real', I thought. But that smile. It was an honest one. The sincerest form. But why? What made her smile at the first place?

'Is anyone sitting here?'

I was startled by a voice. It came from an old woman. She was in her mid 60s, or older perhaps. She holds on to her cane to support her crooked legs, and looks very exhausted.

'I have been walking, you see. The doctor told me it's good for my health'.

The young lady replied softly and helped the old woman to sit. Despite her age, and her deteriorating body, she could still carry on a conversation with ease. The young lady asked her a few questions to which the old woman replied with great enthusiasm. This made me very uneasy for a second. For I, was younger and stronger than this old woman, but I could not even utter a single word. I could not even respond to her earnest smile. I couldn't do anything, and I hadn't even moved an inch. I nearly cried, but then I heard them talking... about me.

'So, you're living with your daughter, mam?'
'Yes, I am. I used to take it for granted, but now that I am getting older and weaker, I am very grateful to have them near me. They are quite fond of me, you see, and that is all I can ask for.'
'If I were you, I'd be very happy to be sure, mam. I.. I never experienced that kind of warmth.'
'Why is that my dear?'
'I don't suppose you'd want to listen to my story, mam. No, I don't think you'd like it.'

I could listen to her heart beating, pumping in and out blood to keep herself warm. It was a rather cold, windy day. The wind spoke nothing, but pacing back and forth restlessly, knowing not where to go. The sun shied away from appearing, hiding amongst the sea of clouds. I stood still, watching the pair intently. No one uttered a single word for a minute or so. I was about to leave, but then I remembered I could not.

'Because I probably won't have enough time to tell, mam. Soon enough I will be one with this place, and forgotten. People will call out my name, but they won't know who I am. People will look up to me, but they won't understand what I am. People will come to worship me, but they won't know where I am.'
'But don't you have a family, my dear? Someone who will remember who you are?'
'Memories linger, but the past is beyond reach. I smiled at my past, but she wouldn't know that I did. Even if she did know, how could she possibly return it? She was stuck there, and I am here. She couldn't leave, and one day I am a part of her'

The old woman gave her hands, and started to bless her. The young lady thanked her, and before she left, she smiled at her, and bade farewell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment